Ontario Public Colleges Increase Part-Time Support Staff Wages
The College Employer Council (CEC) and OPSEU/SEFPO CAAT part-time support staff have reached an agreement to increase wages for the 2021-2024 collective agreement.
The parties met on Wednesday, October 18, to successfully negotiate a mutually agreed upon remedy based on the current status of Bill 124. Elligible part-time support staff will receive an additional 6.5% increase on top of the 3% increase they received under Bill 124, now totaling 9.5% overall throughout the course of the collective agreement.
The wage increases were mutually agreed upon as follows:
- Effective February 1, 2021 - eligible employees who are employed as of this date will have their hourly wage rate increased from 1% to 3%.
- Effective February 1, 2022 - eligible employees who are employed as of this date will have their hourly wage increased from 1% to 3%.
- Effective February 1, 2023 - eligible employees who are employed as of this date will have their hourly wage increased from 1% to 3.5%.
Additional details are available in the minutes of settlement.
“Part-time support staff are integral to the day-to-day operations of the Ontario Colleges, we are pleased to have reached an agreement with the Union on wage increases in recognition of their contributions to the higher education system,” said Graham Lloyd, CEO of CEC. “Good productive open dialogue is key to this ongoing positive working relationship, and we look forward to continuing discussions in bargaining the next collective agreement this winter.”
The current collective agreement expires in January 2024. Bargaining between the parties is anticipated to start next month.