Bargaining to Date:
A summary of bargaining between the CEC and the CAAT-A bargaining team.
*The CEC represents the 24 Colleges as their bargaining agent.
**The CAAT-A bargaining team represents full-time and partial-load instructors, professors, librarians, and counsellors.
Early Extension Offer
- The College Employer Council (CEC) offers a two-year extension to the Collective Agreement set to expire on September 30, 2021.
Extension Offer Rejection
- The CAAT-A Bargaining team immediately rejects the extension offer in favour of formal bargaining.
- Both parties meet to discuss ground rules and present opening statements.
- CAAT-A presents 350 demands spread across 9 themes affecting 51% of articles in the current collective agreement.
- CEC responds to CAAT-A demands by asking clarifying questions, providing counter-proposals on Workload and Counsellor class definition.
CEC Proposals and Mediation Begins
- CEC responds to remaining CAAT-A demands, presents counter-proposals, and full non-monetary proposal.
- CEC presents without prejudice settlement offer, significantly reducing its full non-monetary proposal.
- CAAT-A dismisses CEC settlement offer and asks for mediation.
- CEC accepts mediation and CAAT-A's recommended mediator.
- Mediation begins under a communications blackout.
- The parties meet with the mediator.
- CAAT-A instructed to table new incremental demands.
- CAAT-A revised demands still impact 40% of the collective agreement.
- Mediator re-instructs CAAT-A to revise and reduce demands.
- Mediator considers CAAT-A demands still unreasonable and unachievable.
Mediation Terminated and Unfair Labour Practice Filed
- Mediator terminates mediation.
- Mediator releases report summarizing what occurred during mediation.
- Report outlines CAAT-A's failure to bargain in good faith (bargain to conclude a collective agreement) by maintaining unlawful and unrealistic demands.
- CEC engaged Ontario Labour Board about CAAT-A's unfair labour practices.
- CEC requests conciliation.
- Both parties meet with ministry appointed conciliator.
- CAAT-A presents a minimally revised settlement offer and proposed referring outstanding items to voluntary binding interest arbitration. (A form of arbitration where a 3rd party can pick and choose items between proposals or impose new items).
- CEC asks the conciliator for a No-Board report to indicate bargaining is at an impasse.
- CEC provided CAAT-A with a revised offer of settlement.
- CAAT-A requests a strike vote.
- CEC proposes voluntary binding final offer selection arbitration. (A form of arbitration which includes an opportunity for mediation, failing which a 3rd party selects one proposal in its entirety to become the new collective agreement)
- CEC announces it will be introducing terms and conditions to improve working conditions on December 13.
- A strike vote is held virtually between December 9-11, 2021.
- CAAT-A receive a strike mandate with 59.4% of those who voted, voting in favour of a strike.
- CAAT-A provide 5 days notice for strike action to begin on December 12.
- CEC introduces terms and conditions to improve working conditions on December 13.
- CAAT-A begins phase 1 of work-to-rule on December 18.
Work-to-Rule and Colleges Offer of Settlement
- CAAT-A begins phase 2 of work-to-rule on January 3
- CAAT-A files unfair labour practice against CEC regarding use of e-mail signatures
- CEC asks the Ontario Labour Board conduct a vote with OPSEU academic employee membership on the CEC's most recent offer